Speech Pathway welcomes both undergraduate and graduate students to observe to observe our team and/or intern at our clinic. We offer graduate students the opportunity to intern under a licensed Speech Language Pathologist who meets the ASHA and OBESPA requirements for supervision. Additionally, we offer multiple volunteer opportunities and ways to get involved with Speech Pathway. We are always looking for students to come join us in our Friday Group Sessions, to role model, assist, and have FUN with our clients. We serve patients at our Oklahoma City Clinic from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Patient observation is solely up to therapist and parent/caregiver discretion. We do not allow students to observe initial evaluations. Volunteer opportunities are available when group sessions are occurring and require a predetermined level of commitment.
- Students must be actively obtaining a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Speech Language Pathology. Undergraduate students must be currently enrolled in at at least one class within the Communication Sciences and Disorders (aka) Speech Language Pathology major.
- Students must sign a provided Confidentiality Agreement, per HIPAA regulations. If observation is for a class assignment, real names may not be used.
- Students who are actively obtaining an undergraduate degree in Speech Language Pathology may use any observation hours towards the 25 required hours necessary for graduation and per ASHA regulations.
- As therapist and patient time is valuable, students must be prompt upon arrival to observe. Students are also expected to be professional and represent his/her Speech Language Pathology program with professional standards (e.g. dress code, attitude, jargon, etc.).
- Students are not allowed to use cell phones during observation of an active session, as it is distracting to patients and caregivers. Any purposeful use of a cell phone during an active session with a patient is grounds for dismissal for the day.
- Students must communicate with the assigned therapist regarding confirmation or cancellation of observation.
- Speech Pathway is a non smoking facility and we ask students to be considerate of this policy.
If you are interested in observing please complete the form below. You will receive an email with additional instructions about how to get started.If you have any other questions, please email us at: email@example.com.